January 1, 2017, was the effective date for Nebraska’s Carbon Monoxide Safety Act. This law generally requires carbon monoxide detectors in all single and multifamily dwelling units that have a fuel-fired heater or appliance, a fireplace, or an attached garage, and that fall within one of the following categories:
- Multifamily and single family dwelling units constructed after January 1, 2017.
- Single family dwelling units that are offered for sale or transfer after January 1, 2017.
- Single family dwelling units to which on or after January 1, 2017, the owner makes any interior alteration, repair, fuel-fired appliance replacement, or addition which requires a permit.
- Rental properties (single-family or multifamily) to which on or after January 1, 2017, any interior alteration, repair, fuel-fired appliance replacement, or addition is made which requires a permit, and
- Any existing single-family dwelling or unit in a multifamily dwelling that is used for rental purposes that has a change in tenant occupancy on or after January 1, 2017. (Note this category applies to all existing rental properties even if they do not have a fuel-fired heater or appliance, a fireplace, or an attached garage.)
The statutes state that in each of these properties the carbon monoxide detectors should be installed on each habitable floor of each dwelling unit in a multifamily dwelling and on each habitable floor in a single-family dwelling or in a location specified in any building code adopted by the state or by the political subdivision in which the dwelling is located.
With the new requirement comes a revision to the State required Seller Property Condition Disclosure Statement. You can find the updated forms along with my previous comments on the importance of the disclosure process here.
Remember whether buying or selling, moving up or downsizing, Lincoln or Omaha, the Vaccaros; Paul & Susan, stand ready to assist you, your family, friends and co-workers. Call or email us today! Lincoln (402)817-0355 , Omaha (402)577-0820, info@WeSellNebraska.com (Paul & Susan Vaccaro – CBSHome Real Estate 15950 W Dodge Road, Suite 200, Omaha, NE 68118 – Woods Bros Realty 3737 S 27th Street, Lincoln, NE 68502.